Hallucinations By Generative AI

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
Solstice

Hallucinations By Generative AI

Post by Solstice » Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm

Alice (of Alice and Wonderland fame) might have called it "curiouser and curiouser". Google, whose search engine accounts for more than 90% of the global market, has just rolled out an experimental search feature called "AI Overviews" that can supposedly take the "legwork" out of searching various topics.

The tool has advised some users searching for how to make cheese better stick to pizza that they could use "non-toxic glue." AI-generated responses have also said some geologists recommend humans eat one rock per day.

In another baffling example, a reporter Googling whether they could use gasoline to cook spaghetti faster was told "no... but you can use gasoline to make a spicy spaghetti dish"— and given a recipe.

The entire technology is uncharted waters to me although I'm sure I've been introduced to examples of it online for some time now without me even recognizing them.

Any guidance out there in Methowville for us technological neanderthals? It's certainly a brave new world.
Jim Brennan

Slade

Re: Hallucinations By Generative AI

Post by Slade » Fri May 24, 2024 1:16 pm

So far Google has been polite enough to label the AI summary as such, so that you can skip past it to more useful and possibly more accurate data. On the other hand, it sounds like it could be an amusing, if otherwise useless feature. One might expect that something this new would have some bugs and that it might be refined over time to make the errors less glaring. I've noticed that it often lifts whole passages from Wikipedia.

I personally use Duck Duck Go as my search engine, as it doesn't feed my searches into advertising programs that bombard me for weeks after I've already purchased whatever it was I was looking for.

Bob

valk96

Post by valk96 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:11 pm

I think the best way to deal with it is to toggle the switch to the off position and leave it.

Go_Easy

Post by Go_Easy » Fri May 24, 2024 6:49 pm

AI tools like AI overview and Chat GPT "dredge" the internet at remarkable speeds to summarize information that has already been compiled by humans. There are seven tiers of AI and they are designed differently with different applications. Googles AI overviews and Chat GPT are generative AIs which are capable of creating new content, "including audio, code, images, text, simulations, and videos".
- Source
https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/mckinsey-explainers/what-is-generative-ai

How do generative AIs make the new content? Just like you an I, they are inspired! Where do these AIs get their inspiration? From us, from everything we have uploaded to the internet. So when you ask a generative AI to give you a spaghetti recipe that is cooked with gasoline you get a summary of all the info out there on the internet. And we know the diversity of good and bad info on the internet. I just google searched "can i cook spaghetti with gasoline?" and it returned multiple results inquiring about the subject, written by human beings.

One might ask "why would an AI suggest cooking with gasoline when it is obviously toxic to humans?" My response would be because humans are dumb enough to try and cook spaghetti with gasoline.

Joe - Eastside road. Enjoy your holiday

farm108

Post by farm108 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:07 pm

Please explain how one finds the switch and how one can toggle it off. I, too, have noticed just suddenly AI google results, and I want them to go away. Thanks.

Return to “Main Forum”     Back