Question about heat pump hot water heaters

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
jdh

Question about heat pump hot water heaters

Post by jdh » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Was wondering if anyone in the valley had made the switch to a heat pump hot water heater? If so, could you share your experience? Cost savings? Installation issues? Who installed, etc.? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Simon

Re: Question about heat pump hot water heaters

Post by Simon » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 pm

Heat pump hot water heaters take the ambient heat in your house use it to heat water, and therefore cooling your home slightly. In warmer months, this is awesome! The heat pump hot water is helping the AC unit. No brainer to install one in a hot climate. But in cold months you are using energy to heat your home, and then robbing some of that energy to heat water. How are you getting that energy to heat your home? If you're using propane to heat your home, you would be indirectly burning propane to heat water. Not so green. If you're using electic resistance to heat your home, you're kinda breaking even carbon-wise in the winter. If you're using a heat pump to heat your home, then the heat pump hot water heater is actually green. Does it save money long term in our climate considering they cost more than a regular hot water heater? The cash savings over the life of the hot water heater are probably minimal, but it still is a greener option.

wilddog

Post by wilddog » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm

Hi, We have a hybrid hw heater... electric or heat pump. I don't think I would do it again. It cools the air in the house (when in heat pump mode) so this is not helpful in the winter; we set it on electric in the winter because of this but ours only stays set for 48 hours... so have to reset regularly. Fortunately it is very loud in heat pump mode so we know it needs resetting!

Ping me at four 2 five 9 nine 9 five 88 two if you want to chat or come and see it. Jenny
Jenny Brown

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed May 01, 2024 9:46 am

I know this is not what you asked, but I did a fair amount of research into different hot water options when we were building a new home and ended up falling back on the "simple" approach and stuck with a electric hot water heater with extra insulation (one of the plastic/fiberglass units with built in insulation). I just ran into too many folks having trouble with their heat pump units to take on the new technology risk myself.

FWIW: Initial cost for my unit was on par with some propane and heat pump units, but it's simple technology and less expensive to install/maintain/repair compared to a propane or heat pump unit. Sorry, I don't have numbers for real world kwh usage at this time, but the water is very hot, and the outside of the unit is always completely cool to the touch, so I feel like I'm not wasting too much energy with the old technology.

Reapward

Post by Reapward » Wed May 01, 2024 11:41 am

We swear by solar hot water. Big svings after the initial panel investment and running lines.
Don't remember the cost. Since about 2010. Only had to replace the panels due to fire damage.
Pearl Cherrington

icreate81

Post by icreate81 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:05 pm

We put in a heat pump water heater, got a rebate through PUD which brought the price down to almost a regular heater. We turn off the pump during the winter and just use electric for the reasons stated already. We went online and found directions to switch completely to electric so we don't have to reset it every couple of days. We then turn it back to heat pump once it warms up, keeps that part of the house cool. Works good for us. I think a lot depends what your winter heat source is. Also, we didn't realize a great savings, but do notice it during the warm months.
Mark Easton

Return to “Main Forum”     Back