Cherry Trees & the early snow/frost from 2022

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
Jessica

Cherry Trees & the early snow/frost from 2022

Post by Jessica » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

I am wondering if anyone's cherry trees produced buds this spring? My trees were hit hard from the early snow/frost of 2022. A farmer on the Columbia near Wenatchee told me to wait a year. Unfortunately, this spring my trees haven't produced any buds yet. I fear the early snow/frost from 2022 might have killed them.

Looking for advice, are there cherry trees in the Methow Valley that survived winter of 2022? Is there a chance the trees will come back?

Thank you!

Jessica Gallegos
Carlton, WA

muchaloza54

Re: Cherry Trees & the early snow/frost from 2022

Post by muchaloza54 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

Two large cherries on our street died. In Winthrop.
Agnes Almquist

farm108

Post by farm108 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm

I am still reaping losses to my fruit trees from that 2022-23 winter. I don't have a cherry tree, but my old apricot and pear have very few living branches and very few buds (leaf or flower). My plum tree and two old Jonathan apples died completely. I waited until this spring, hoping they'd come back -- but they're totally dead. From what I hear, many suffered hard losses. And this long nightly cold snap right now may be damaging whatever flowers folks may have on their trees.

brenttannehill

Post by brenttannehill » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:54 am

We have a pie cherry that is doing well. It wasn't affected at all by the cold that killed 3 of our peach trees, one pear tree and half of an older Jonathan apple tree.
Brent Tannehill

Mobarika

Post by Mobarika » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 am

That is so very sad that a lot of trees suffered and or died. WE have a tree service and had to take down a lot of fruit trees and grind out the stumps for replanting for people because of that. Ours died as well. Some fruit trees did survive and are healthy, while others survived a little and are hanging on still. If your fruit trees do not start budding out in the next few weeks, then you can be sure they did not survive. You can water them and hope for the best and wait a year and see what happens. If by next springtime they still do not bud out, then they should come out.

Rebecca and Brian Knight 206-412-5464

karlukkid

Post by karlukkid » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:09 pm

We lost two peach trees outright, Last spring our cherry eventually developed some leaves near the top but no fruit. This year the cherry tree somewhat improved and budding,,,still hopeful,, Bruce Herron Wolf Creek
Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

bobeobi

Post by bobeobi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am

The house we are renting a few miles Twisp River has a huge, old sweet cherry tree and it is alive and blooming but definitely has some damage from the frost two winters ago. A lot fewer blossoms and some partially or completely dead branches. I have photos of it from a spring before the big frost when it looked like a pink cloud when it was in bloom, so beautiful. Definitely a very different look now but we are lucky that it survived at all.
Irina Vodonos

Return to “Main Forum”     Back