Be aware Extreme season for Ticks!.

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
lovethemethow

Be aware Extreme season for Ticks!.

Post by lovethemethow » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:21 pm

Hikers, walkers, especially dog owners. This year is the worst I have ever seen. The ticks are out so beware, think again about letting the dog, on your bed or couch. Put on a head lamp and check your pets. Went for a walk today up twisp river, near war creek and the washout. And come home to 4 ticks in the house.
One on back of head, remind you i am a fast hiker. One on my friends head. And one on the floor, and couch. We had only been home for about an hour until we starting freaking out!. These nasty little buggers cause Disease.
This sucks. Heads up.
Twisp, carlton, winthrop. Usually there isn't much of ticks here in the Methow, and usually more on the coast. Be mindful of ur treckings.
They are like I said worst year yet!.

moose

Re: Be aware Extreme season for Ticks!.

Post by moose » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:08 pm

Thx for the heads up
Joe Frey

Reapward

Post by Reapward » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Yes, thanks. I was on the south side close to Eagle Cr. today but I was on my bike. Didn't sit down anywhere and wasn't under alot of trees, well except, when I... but will knwo to check now.
They give me the heebie jeebies but I did grow up with alot in Kansas. Everyday we would de tick the dog. They do have pretty cool designs on their backs however. Still creepy and yes about the diseases.
Pearl Cherrington

choffer

Post by choffer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 am

We were hiking up War Creek on Tuesday and YES to my surprise I came home with two large ticks. I am also a fast hiker, thankfully I hadn't been bitten yet.
Chris Hoffer

Reapward

Post by Reapward » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:11 pm

I've been hiking with heavy gaitors on so that may be offering protection. Seems like this tick explosion may just be arriving.
We also used to use powdered sulpher around our ankles and wrists. Doesn't smell the greatest but it worked. Kept the chiggers at bay too.
Pearl Cherrington

SherpaDave

Post by SherpaDave » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:26 pm

Avoid any areas near rivers, streams, and standing water. The ticks prefer foliage and require moisture. Out in the bitterbrush there are very few ticks. This happens every spring. By the end of June everything has dried-out locally, and the tick population crashes. Check your dogs and your partner.

Mike K

Post by Mike K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Mmmm, sounds like a good Country song.

muchaloza54

Post by muchaloza54 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 pm

One year I did some bushwhacking through sagebrush above Rizer lake with my dog, I took 32 ticks off of him after that. One on me. This was dry scrub terrain. They are everywhere the deer go.
Agnes Almquist

Return to “Main Forum”     Back