Moving a 8x10 shed

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
luna

Moving a 8x10 shed

Post by luna » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 pm

I'm trying to figure out the best way to move this shed. It just needs to go about 30.'. has anyone else done this before? I've heard of using pipe as rollers, a flat bed. The biggest issue is then getting it up on the new foundation that is about 10" off the ground. Thanks for any suggestions!

wildramble

Re: Moving a 8x10 shed

Post by wildramble » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:54 pm

Rolling it is certainly DIY friendly - look around for 10' fence posts to borrow... a half dozen or more.
Take time to rake/groom the 30' of path of small stones and the like.
People pushing that far is possible, terrain depending, but a crawl speed pull with vehicle (+ tow straps and screw pin shackles) would be far easier... but then you gotta lasso the whole shed or create a brace on the inside spanning a few of the studs and put a long eye bolt through that for a pull point on the exact center of the shed.

What kind of foundation - smooth solid pour or piers? That will help folks suggest platforming the shed onto its new home. *Smooth pour - you'd set up a pretty short run ramp with planks and ply screwed together high enough so that ON rollers the shed will just clear that 10" height and tip itself onto the surface. In the past I've put 10-12' 2x6s on the slab laid side to side so as to have a buffer to keep it from slipping off the foundation sides as its length was negotiated onto the slab (and you have to have folks hold those in place so they do not move with the winching (or come-along cable winch to the fixed vehicle) on of the shed to foundation. Fulcrum + lever those out and fine tune. It helps to marking paint the exact center on the shed and slab.
If it is pier blocks - thatsa wee bit harder to write out the options for.

There's certainly more finer points like reducing friction, clear communication between ground folk and driver/ground folk and rollers and other pinch points to be aware of... The math is not complicated, just drill down visualizing the moving parts and lining up of the shed to foundation.

Someone with the proper-weighted tractor and forks would make even shorter work of it all but where is the can-do barn raising fun in that?

luna

Post by luna » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:40 am

Thanks! Some really good pointers. I agree with " what's the fun in that"

BC2

Post by BC2 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:07 am

If rolling doesn't work I think Alpine Shed out of Tonasket will help with moving, for a fee, I believe.

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:57 am

Hello Luna…

I also have a shed to move, but way more than 30’! Craig Lints had a Crane Service, which
he sold to somebody. Maybe someone knows the guy. That might be the way to do it. Could
be a little spendy, but quick, easy and accurate!

muchaloza54

Post by muchaloza54 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:26 pm

Years ago a friend wanted to move a shed, so he had a bunch of strong friends come and pick it up and move it to its new spot. I don't think there were any injuries!!
Agnes Almquist

moose

Post by moose » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:48 pm

I also moved a shed with a boom truck. Both lumber yards have them if your logistics line up with that scenario. Bonus if you happen to be receiving a delivery of lumber anyway
Joe Frey

luna

Post by luna » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:50 am

Update: my wife and I moved the shed and put in on the new subfloor. We used fence posts as rollers, jacks and some static rope attached to the truck. It was quite fun to figure out the mechanics of it all. Thank you everyone for your advice!

wildramble

Post by wildramble » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:07 am

That 's awesome and it is easy to share in the mechanical think-it-through victory of figuring a need like that out hands-on successfully! Really happy y'all reported back. Cheers to you!

Return to “Main Forum”     Back