ISO information on "In-law units"

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
WEARETHESTONES

ISO information on "In-law units"

Post by WEARETHESTONES » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:47 pm

I am looking to understand the codes and parameters set up for adding an in-law residential unit to my main residential structure in Okanogan County. Can someone point me to the right location for such information?
Personal experiences with said codes are welcome and encouraged.
Thanks!
MF~

WEARETHESTONES

Re: ISO information on "In-law units"

Post by WEARETHESTONES » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:13 pm

Something about the inlaw unit being a certain sqft percentage of the main dwelling unit and from what I've heard also is the units need to be connected via a covered walkway? Can the walkway be fully enclosed? This some of the info Im looking for.

carolwisman

Post by carolwisman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Probably best to call the county directly.

WEARETHESTONES

Post by WEARETHESTONES » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:47 pm

The county is pretty much useless unless you have an open permit

tristanbgilb

Post by tristanbgilb » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:16 pm

I think what you are looking to build is known as an accessary dwelling. I have been thinking about building one next to my house in Twisp and renting it out to pay for it. Here in
Twisp it would require its own water/sewer and electric hookups but makes it nicely suited for a rental. I was thinking more like the minimum size rather than the largest accessary dwelling I would be allowed to build. Without pulling up the code, I remember being able to build around 500 to 800 sq ft or so. I am zoned R-2 in Twisp Code in a 100x100 ft lot. The lot could be divided and have two lots and then build a full-size house only a property line adjustment would be necessary and could be expensive and not for sure. I can build the small house without dividing the city lot into two and petitioning the town for the property line adjustment. I think you need to find out your Zoning and look to see what the rules are for accessary dwellings in okanogan county in your zone.
Tristan Gilbert

TTT

Post by TTT » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:19 pm

I could be wrong as this is just what I've been told. "Additional Dwelling Units" or a A.D.U. can not exceed 40% of the size of main house, must be on the same septic system (if capable of it). water from the same well and power im not sure about. I have not heard about having to be connected some how to main house or even a within a set distance. With a shared septic that probably limits the distance i would think.

On a side note; i got your voicemail about the snow mobiles. Give me call agian sometime if your still interested.

TTT

tristanbgilb

Post by tristanbgilb » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:00 am

codepublishing.com/WA/OkanoganCounty/html/OkanoganCounty17A/OkanoganCounty17A140.html#17A.140.040

17A.140.040 Accessory uses.
Accessory uses are as follows:

A. Normal accessory uses customary and incidental to the permitted and/or conditional use of the property.

B. Accessory Dwellings.

1. On lots which meet or exceed the minimum lot size requirement of the district, one additional attached or detached accessory dwelling is allowed. The accessory dwelling unit must be 1,500 square feet or less and must be located no further than 100 feet from the primary dwelling unit or structure.

2. On nonconforming lots, an accessory dwelling unit for extended family members is allowed only if a demonstrated family hardship exists (see OCC 17A.310.120(B)(1)).

3. No more than one accessory dwelling unit shall be located on any lot. (Ord. 2016-4 § 1 (Att. A), 2016).
Tristan Gilbert

tristanbgilb

Post by tristanbgilb » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:29 am

I don't think you will want to build on a conditional permit if your lot is non-conforming. The county is able to make you remove your accessory dwelling if like your mother in law moves into a nursing home and your emergency for the conditional permit no longer exists.

17A.310.120 Administrative conditional use permits.
The authorized zoning adjuster shall review and subsequently approve, approve with conditions, or deny applications for administrative conditional use permits.

A. Applications for administrative conditional use permits shall be processed in accordance with administrative application procedures in accordance with OCC Title 20, Development Permit Procedures and Administration.

B. The types of administrative conditional use permits which are authorized by this chapter include:

1. Emergency Family Hardship. The administrator shall consider applications for an emergency family hardship in the event that an additional residential unit would not comply with the density requirements of the zone district in which the proposal is located. It shall be the applicant’s burden to adequately demonstrate a legitimate emergency family hardship exists. Such information provided shall be reviewed by the administrator in order to determine whether to approve such applications on the basis of the facts presented. Any residential units approved in accordance with this section shall be strictly limited in duration to the period of the hardship. The administrator may require such periodic reporting and/or documentation as deemed necessary to validate the existence and continuation of the hardship. Upon the expiration of any permit, it shall be the applicant’s duty to abate and remove such residential unit within 90 days. If at any time during the duration of a permit the administrator determines that the emergency hardship no longer exists, the permit shall be summarily revoked and the permitted residential unit shall be abated and removed, at the permittee’s expense, within 90 days of the administrator’s revocation order. (Ord. 2016-4 § 1 (Att. A), 2016).
Tristan Gilbert

alfrandell

Post by alfrandell » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:41 am

I am the tiny home guy, so i need to point out that portable structures can be added without expensive permitting. There is no minimum size. It is best to exceed every code when building these structures, but a portable structure is not subject to the same codes. A portable structure may have a full solar roof without being subject to building codes and permitting fees. The solar equipment can be installed by a regular person, so the price is not tripled from the price of the parts. A foundation is strongly desired around here, but for the wrong reasons. A foundation does not make the building warmer or more comfortable. It makes the structure cost about 4 times as much, and makes sure that all of the construction takes place at the site. It makes very sure that the building can not be moved a short distance or a long distance to rearrange the property, or to bring familiar buildings to a different property.

On site construction might sound good, until you realize that it also means thousands of pick up truck trips, and dozens or hundreds of heavy equipment and dump truck trips. Worker traffic driving in from surrounding communities has proven to be absurdly expensive and dangerous. Possibly most importantly, on site construction destroys the site permanently. Even if a property is 10 acres, there is most likely not 10 acres of flat land where buildings can be built. It is good to avoid a second area of extensive equipment use.
I suggest placing a portable guest building or studio on a slope, without flattening the area with equipment. This building has more options than a building that is fixed to the ground. You can sell it, move it to another property or take it apart and make it disappear. If fire comes, that is a good time to drive off with your building.

anyway, i wanted to suggest the use of portable buildings in the Methow valley. They are not only for undesirable homeless people like myself. They are good for an maturing child that needs a music studio; an elderly person who wants a bedroom that is a little ways away from the commotion of the main house; or a guest who can stay for a while without impacting the host quite as much. When the mother in law or child moves away, the portable outbuilding can stay or leave as decided by the landowner.
Alf Randell
electronic mail - alfrandell@gmail.com
sms text
509 341 4053

tristanbgilb

Post by tristanbgilb » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 am

I would not choose to use a non-permitted dwelling at this point in my life. My first dwelling in the Methow Valley was not permitted. I would not go back after acquiring two permitted (legal) dwellings at this point in my life.

I was impressed with a manufactured house brought into our neighborhood by S and H Homes in Okanogan. This double wide manufactured house was put on a full concrete block foundation and looks quite solid and comfortable to live in.

I am thinking about buying their smallest house and having it put next to my house in Twisp.

Kit Cottage
Manufactured Homes
1001 1 bed, 1 bath, Loft
Optional 8' Porch cottage 1002 interior photos not available 536 sq. ft.

I have enough equity in the Twisp house I could take out an equity loan and then pay the loan off with the rental money giving me a third dwelling in the Methow Valley at no out of pocket expenses.
Tristan Gilbert

Return to “Main Forum”     Back