Still time to file RE assessment appeals

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
Chrys

Still time to file RE assessment appeals

Post by Chrys » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:16 am

In reading the Methow Valley News article regarding the 2023 real estate assessments, it stated the time for filing an appeal of the new property tax assessments was over. However, on the reverse of the assessor's office Change of Value Notice for assessment of taxes due in 2023 it states " ... you may appeal to the Okanogan County Board of Equalization (BOE). ... Petitions for a hearing must be filed with the BOE on or before July 1st of the assessment year [2023], or within 30 days of the date of the valuation notice [Oct. 7, 2022], whichever date is later."

As I read that statement, property owners can file 2023 property assessment appeals with the BOE up to July 1, 2023. Therefore, people should still have plenty of time to file their appeals.

Chrystal Perrow, Winthrop

RandySea

Re: Still time to file RE assessment appeals

Post by RandySea » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:27 pm

I believe the assessment year is 2022, for taxes to be calculated and collected in 2023.

Chrys

Post by Chrys » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:03 am

I am getting more info from assessor's office. Because the Change of Value Notice did not include years when referencing the July dates in the appeal paragraph, there is some confusion. STAY TUNED. Will post when I have clarification.

Chrystal

Chrys

Post by Chrys » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:43 pm

My husband spoke w Larry Gilman, Ok. Co. Assessor, this morning (Tues. Nov. 22, 2022). Mr. Gilman agreed the language defining the appeal deadlines printed on the assessment cards/notices was confusing, mainly because the assessor's office was late in getting the notices out this year. (Normally the assessor's office would have mailed them to property owners in the spring.) Bottom line is the appeal filing date has passed (as of Nov. 6, 2022). The July 1 date stated on the card was referencing July 1, 2022, not 2023. Mr. Gilman agreed that they could make the appeal filing deadline more accurate by simply putting "of the current calendar year" after the filing deadlines month/day listed on the mailings.

So hopefully in the future Okanogan County property owners will have clear language defining the appeal deadline on their assessment notices.

Chrystal Perrow, Winthrop

mvcc

Post by mvcc » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:03 am

I emailed them from their website and they sent me a form to appeal the increase.
Kirsten Ostlie

Return to “Main Forum”     Back